Substance Abuse Clinician - Full-Time
Substance Abuse Clinician needed for full-time position with great local nonprofit client in Richmond, VA. Position will be working in the consumer programs department and reporting to the team lead, clinical programs manager and director of consumer programs.
Summary of Position:
- The substance abuse clinician uses clinical skills to assess, plan, develop, coordinate, and provide recovery oriented treatment, recovery, and support services to program participants. This position functions as a member of the multidisciplinary team and provides treatment, recovery, and supports services in a community-based program. The substance abuse clinician will also provide preventative and early intervention services as necessary. The APTS clinical team is licensed as an ICT team and provides services to individuals with a history of chronic homelessness who have been diagnosed with a serious and persistent mental illness. The substance abuse clinician reports directly to the APTS Team Leader.
Summary of Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide outreach and case management for program participants including, but not limited to, coordination of care with other providers, monitoring progress and changes, treatment plan development, implementation, and ongoing assessment; provision of supportive counseling and symptom management, medication education and compliance, substance abuse recovery, assistance with activities of daily living to foster independence, maintain housing stability, and improve quality of life.
Conduct annual comprehensive assessments of psychiatric history, mental status and diagnosis, physical health and medical needs, use of drugs or alcohol, education and employment history, social development and functioning, activities of daily, and family structure and relationships.
Provide crisis intervention and prevention services to participants as needed to include participation in a rotating on-call schedule to cover after-hours, weekends, and holidays.
Conduct quarterly reviews of progress for each assigned participant to reflect their progress over the last 90 days and the needs that persist for continued services.
Assist and support program participants to carry out personal hygiene; provide nutrition education, meal planning, grocery shopping, and food preparation; assist and support participants to perform household activities; assist participants with accessing needed entitlements/benefits; teach money management skills; help participants to access reliable transportation; assist and support participants to have and effectively use a personal physician. This may include such activities as side-by-side teaching of cleaning techniques, grocery shopping, and navigation of public transportation.
Provide supportive services to increase interpersonal relationship and leisure skills.
Work with the housing specialist to assist program participants to find and maintain safe and affordable housing which may at times include assisting participants with moving to a new living environment (i.e. packing boxes, transporting boxes, and unpacking boxes).
Collaborate with community partners, other providers, payees, landlords, and family members to ensure effective care coordination, successful treatment interventions, and overall stability in the areas of mental health, substance abuse, social development, and housing.
- Initiate and maintain positive working relationships with ICT team members and community resources such as law enforcement, hospitals, other human service agencies, and informal community resources.
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for ICT team members in the areas of substance abuse with regard to the recovery planning/process, treatment planning, strategies and interventions, and safety planning.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date, thorough records, both electronic and paper, in accordance with agency, licensure, and Medicaid regulations and policies.
- Actively participate in daily staff organizational meetings, treatment planning review meetings, and individual supervision meetings.
Summary of Qualifications :
- Requires a minimum of a Masters Degree in Social Work or related field and one year of training or clinical experience in substance abuse treatment and working with adults who suffer from persistent and severe mental health symptoms.
- Knowledge of the mental health system, community resources, program development, psychotropic medications, substance use disorders and treatment, and Intensive/Assertive Community Treatment Model preferred.
- Skills in assessing, diagnosing, and formulating treatment goals and implementation of recovery oriented services to persons with serious mental illness and co-occurring substance abuse disorders required.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding this population, and experience in Medicaid billing procedures preferred.
- Good computer skills required.
- Certifications in CPR, First Aid, Behavior Management and Medication Management or a dedication and commitment to obtaining them within 3 months of hire.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with program participants, peers, and collateral agencies required.
- Good oral and written communication skills required.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to meet VSH driving requirements is required as use of personal vehicle is required.
- Experience with homeless persons and homeless service systems is strongly preferred.
Summary of Physical and Sensory Requirements:
Mobility, walking, climbing, sitting, standing, reaching, bending, lifting (minimum of 10 lbs), fine hand coordination, ability to read, write, listen and speak clearly, the ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions and directions, ability to drive a vehicle and travel, and ability to remain calm under pressure. Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to use computer, cell phone, monitor, mouse, and keyboard extensively.
Please send your resume & salary requirements in response to this opening! As well, please share with anyone that would be interested & qualified – we do offer paid referrals.
Medicus Staffing Team